The iObserver is an electronic device that allows to automatically identify and quantify the whole catch on board fishing vessels. It consists of:
- An industrial vision camera.
- An industrial computer equipped with image recognition software.
- A lighting system.
Such elements are protected by a metallic case able to resist the harsh conditions on the fishing parks.
- Dimensions/Weight: 40x23x26 cm/18 kg.
- It is located over the conveyor belt, just before the fish separation zone.
- It can be installed on a wide range of fishing parks.
- It is equipped with a Graphical User Interface (GUI) easy to handle and that requires minimal user interaction.
- Automatic image acquisition by means of a system of sensors that avoids image repetition.
- It allows training new species through the GUI.
- Identification results are combined with vessel instrumentation data. Then, they are sent to an in-land center for further analysis.
Results obtained during the project:
- 17 species of commercial interest are already trained. Such species can be found on the following fishing grounds: Great Sole, Northwest Cantabric, Portugal and NAFO.
- It has been intensively tested in 10 oceanographic campaigns and in 9 commercial trips, in which, more than 200.000 images were taken.
- Identification accuracy larger than 90% for separated individuals with a size estimation mean error lower than 3%.
You can download the manual in the following link LIFE iSEAS iObserver Manual